MOTION ON THE APPOINTMENT OF MR IMTIAZ FAZEL AS INSPECTOR-GENERAL OF INTELLIGENCE BY THE PRESIDENT
The African National Congress moves without notice: That the House
- notes that President Cyril Ramaphosa has appointed Mr Imtiaz Fazel as the Inspector-General of Intelligence, following his approval by the National Assembly for a tenure of five years from Tuesday, 1 November, 2022;
- further notes that Mr Fazel is a former Chief Operations Officer - at the level of Deputy Director General - in the Office of the Inspector-General of Intelligence and a former Deputy Director General in the Office of the Director General of the State Security Agency;
- understands that from 2015 to 2020, he served as Deputy Director General for Governance, Risk and Compliance in the Department of Public Works, following which he served as acting Director- General in the Department of Public Works and Infrastructure;
- further understands that he obtained a Master's Degree in Security Studies from the University of Pretoria, holds a Bachelor of Accounting Science degree from the University of South Africa, also holds a Post-Graduate Diploma in Accounting from the University of the Western Cape and is a member of the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants; and
- wishes him well in his new position and believes that his appointment is a good step towards efforts to strengthen the capability of the state, particularly the intelligence sector.