MOTION ON THE PASSING ON OF FORMER OLYMPIAN, TABLE TENNIS STAR AND FIERCE WOMEN’S SPORTS ACTIVIST, CHERYL ROBERTS
The African National Congress moves without notice: That the House
- notes with deep sadness the passing on of former South African Olympian, table tennis star and progressive and fierce women’s sports activist, Ms Cheryl Roberts, who passed on after a battle with cancer at the Netcare Parklands Hospital in Durban on Friday, the 7th October 2022 aged 62;
- further notes that she first made a name for herself when she represented South Africa in the 1992 Summer Olympic Games in Barcelona as part of the table tennis team;
- understands that she established her own publishing agency and produced various publications of the champions of anti-apartheid sport, and promoting black women, their work, agency and highlighting their struggles;
- acknowledges that she spoke out at the lack of transformation in sport, the marginalisation of women and girls in sport, and the corruption in sports management, development and sponsorship; and
- extends its sincere condolences to the Roberts family, along with everyone she impacted on during her life.