Motion on 37 people killed and 60 wounded in an attack on a mining company convoy in Burkina Faso
The African National Congress moves without notice: That the House -
1) notes with sadness the deaths of 37 people and 60 wounded in an attack on a mining company convoy in Burkina Faso on Wednesday 6th November 2019;
2) understands that the bloodshed occurred when five buses carrying staff of a Canadian firm Semafo, were ambushed and a military escort vehicle was struck by an explosive device before gunmen opened fire on the convoy;
3) further understands that Burkina Faso has been a target of a terrorist insurgency that has killed hundreds of people in recent years;
4) acknowledges that the military in Burkina Faso has been struggling to contain the violence that spilled over the border from neighbouring Mali; and
5) conveys its condolences to the government of Burkina Faso and families of the dead mine workers and wishes those wounded, a speedy recovery.