Motion on death of 4 Hoersskool Driehoek Learners
The African National Congress moves without notice: That the House
1) notes with sadness the death of 4 learners of Hoërskool Driehoek in Vanderbijlpark on Friday, 1st February 2019 after a bridge connecting two blocks of the school buildings collapsed;
2) notes that a further 20 injured learners were taken to various hospitals;
3) understands that a concrete slab above a corridor linking these two blocks of buildings came crushing down on these 26 learners just a few minutes after 08:00, when learners were heading to their classrooms from the morning assembly;
4) further remembers that classes at the school were cancelled on that sad day and students were provided with counselling;
5) thanks the municipalities who assisted during that tragedy and everyone else who swiftly responded and assisted to rescue the affected learners; and
6) conveys its heartfelt condolences to the family, school and friends of the deceased.