MOTION ON DR NEHEMIAH LATOLLA WINNING FAMELAB COMPETITION USING INDIGENOUS KNOWLEDGE TO TREAT DIABETES
The African National Congress moves without notice: That the House
- notes that a post-graduate Researcher at Nelson Mandela University, Dr Nehemiah Latolla will represent South Africa Online at the International FameLab 2022 Science Communication competition on the 25th November 2022;
- further notes that this follows Dr Latolla’s discovery of safe ways to treat diabetes based on indigenous knowledge of medicinal plant remedies which earned him top spot in the South African leg of the International FameLab Science Communication competition on Monday 17 October 2022;
- recalls that he captured the attention of the judges when he told them about his passion for tapping into South Africa’s wealth of indigenous knowledge, including natural remedies to treat diabetes;
- acknowledges that his research in Phytochemistry – the branch of Chemistry concerned with plants and plant products – is focused on evaluating the safety and efficacy of natural products to treat this metabolic disorder; and
- congratulates Dr Latolla on winning the South African leg of the FameLab competition.