Motion on International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
1. The Chief Whip of the Majority Party moved without notice: That the House -
(1) notes that the United Nations` International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is annually observed on October 17 each year since 1993;
(2) recalls that its aim is to promote people`s awareness on the need to eradicate poverty and destitution worldwide, particularly in developing countries;
(3) further recalls that the 2013 Commemoration of this day will be held at the United Nations Headquarters in New York, focusing on the theme - "Working together towards a world without discrimination: Building on the experience and knowledge of people in extreme poverty";
(4) acknowledges that this year`s event is organized in partnership with the International Movement ATD Fourth World, the NGO Sub-committee for the Eradication of Poverty and the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, supported by the Missions of France and Burkina Faso to the United Nations; and
(5) call upon all countries to observe this day and country leaders to make a fight against poverty a priority.