MOTION ON INTERNATIONAL DAY FOR THE PRESERVATION OF THE OZONE LAYER
The African National Congress moves without notice: That the House
- notes that the United Nations' (UN) International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer is celebrated on September 16 every year;
- further notes that this event commemorates the date of the signing of the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer in 1987;
- understands that the theme for this year is “Global cooperation protecting life on Earth”;
- acknowledges that the theme recognises the wider impact the Montreal Protocol has on climate change and the need to act in collaboration, forge partnerships and develop global cooperation to address climate challenges and protect life on earth for future generations; and
- calls on all of us to not just acknowledge the Montreal Protocol but to show that by acting together we can slow climate change, feed the world’s hungry and protect the planet that we all depend on.