MOTION ON INTERNATIONAL WOMENS DAY
The African National Congress moves without notice: That the House
- notes that International Women’s Day is annually held on March 8 to celebrate women’s achievements throughout history and across nations;
- further notes that the purpose of International Women’s Day (IWD) is to uphold women's achievements, recognize challenges, and focus greater attention on women's rights and gender equality;
- understands that the theme for this year is, “Gender equality today for a sustainable tomorrow”, recognizing the contribution of women and girls around the world, who are leading the charge on climate change adaptation, mitigation, and response, to build a more sustainable future for all;
- acknowledges that advancing gender equality in the context of the climate crisis and disaster risk reduction is one of the greatest global challenges of the 21st century; and
- calls on all to observe this day which is aimed at helping nations worldwide eliminate discrimination against women and focus on helping women gain full and equal participation in global development.