MOTION ON THE PASSING ON OF NEHAWU EASTERN CAPE DEPUTY CHAIRPERSON MR LIZO VAKALA
The African National Congress moves without notice: That the House
- notes with sadness the passing on of the Deputy Chairperson of the National Education, Health and Allied Workers Union (NEHAWU) in the Eastern Cape, Me Lizo Vakala, whose badly burnt body was found on Tuesday 25 October 2022 in dense bushes close to the R334 and R335 in Motherwell, Gqeberha;
- further understands that Vakala left his home on Saturday 22 October 2022 to take his car in for repairs in Kwazakhele and never returned home, after which his family reported him missing on Sunday 23 October 2022;
- notes that his vehicle was found abandoned in Wells Estate the following Monday morning;
- remembers Mr Vakala as a loyal and forthright activist who served the ANC with integrity and never wavered in his fight for democracy and social justice;
- commends the police for the swift arrest of a suspect who will appear in court soon; and
conveys its deepest condolences to the family of Mr Lizo Vakala and his colleagues and comrades in the ANC and NEHAWU.