MOTION ON RUGBY WORLD CUP SEVENS
The African National Congress moves without notice: That the House
- notes that South Africa hosted the first ever Rugby World Cup Sevens in Cape Town on Saturday 9 till Sunday 11 September 2022;
- further notes that the 2022 tournament, comprising of 24 men and 16 womens’ teams was played in Cape Town stadium;
- understands that the eighth edition of the Rugby World Cup 7s tournament was hosted for the first time by an African country in its three-decade history;
- acknowledges that hosting world cup tournaments are not only important for boosting the economy and creating employment, but also for uniting residents and people from all walks of life;
- remembers that many thousands of residents and visitors attended the tournament; and
- congratulates Fiji and Australia who were crowned Rugby World Cup Sevens 2022 winners in the men’s and women’s events respectively as they both defeated reigning champions New Zealand in two exhilarating finals.