Motion on trapped miners at Impala Platinum Mine
The African National Congress moves without notice: That the House
(1) notes with sadness the death of a miner following a rock-fall at the Impala Platinum Mine in Rustenburg on Tuesday 17 May 2016;
(2) further notes that the second miner is still trapped underneath and the search and rescue teams are still trying to find him;
(3) understands that nine miners were working underground at Shaft 1 during the incident but seven of them ran for safety;
(4) further understands that earlier this year four miners were killed in an underground fire at the very same mine; and
(5) conveys condolences to the family and colleagues of the deceased miner and wishes for a speedy and safe return of the trapped one.