Motion without Notice by Honourable Sam Mazosiwe on COPE
26 October 2010
Chairperson, I hereby give notice that in the next sitting of the Council I shall move:
That the Council-
- Notes reports that the flagging Cope is broke and battling to raise funds for its upcoming national elective conference scheduled to be held in the Free State in two weeks` time;
- Further notes that infighting over leadership positions between interim president, Mosiuoa Lekota and deputy president, Mbhazima Shilowa, as well as the abuse of party allocated funding through political allegiance has alienated potential funders and divided the membership of Cope into groups of those that are against Lekota or for Shilowa;
- Five months after the aborted Centurion conference where delegates representing the warring factions caused damage worth an undisclosed amount of money;
- Cope is yet to settle the more than R2 million bill for the St George`s Hotel; and
- Takes the opportunity to call on those who left or were misled to leave the ANC by disgruntled individuals and power mongers who could not accept the internal democratic processes of the ANC to come back and rejoin the nations` quest to advance the lives of the people of the of South Africa led by the ANC government.
I so move.