Motion Without Notice:
Mr T. A. Mashamite moved without notice that the Council:-
1. Notes that despite the Nandoni Dam in Vhembe District in Limpopo having been built and completed in 2004 at a cost of R 600 million, the communities living next to the dam, as well as other communities in Vhembe district are still without water;
2. Further notes that the reason for this unfortunate and unacceptable state of affairs is attributed to poor workmanship by the contractor and inferior pipes that were used for water reticulation, which lead to a court battle with the result that water could not be provided to communities;
3. Expresses concern that the communities were deprived of the most basic source of live, namely water for so long while the relevant departments, the provincial legislature and municipalities have allowed this state of affairs and the matter to remain unresolved;
4. Takes this opportunity to welcome the assurance given by the Minister of Water Affairs that the communities will get water within 56 weeks; and
5. Calls on all relevant Ministers and their departments as well as the provincial government and local authorities to intervene as a matter of extreme urgency and to find other means to provide water to the communities in the interim.
I so move!