Motion on World No Tobacco Day
The African National Congress moves without notice: That the House
- notes that World No Tobacco Day is held on the 31st May each year;
- further notes that on this day non-governmental organizations and governments unite to draw attention to the health problems that tobacco use can cause;
- acknowledges that medical research made it clear during the 1900s that tobacco use increased the likelihood of many illnesses including heart attacks, strokes, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), emphysema and many forms of cancer;
- further acknowledges that the World Health Organization (WHO) reports 8 million deaths every year due to the consumption of tobacco;
- understands that the theme for 2021 is “Commit to Quit;”and
- calls on all to observe this day and to help spread awareness about the risks of tobacco use and how we can make the world tobacco free.