1994-2004: She was elected to serve in the National Parliament serving in the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) representing Eastern Cape Province. She became a Chairperson of Public Service Select Committee. She also served in Judicial Service Commission.
In 2004, she joined the Eastern Cape Provincial Legislature (ECPL) and served in the following positions:
* 2004-2008: Chairperson of Roads and Public Works Portfolio Committee
* 2008 to 2009: Eastern Cape MEC for Health.
* 2009 to 2010: Eastern Cape MEC for Department of Roads and Public Works
* 2010 to 2014: Eastern Cape MEC for Social Development and Special Programmes (Women, Children, Older Person and People with Disabilities)
* 2014 to 2018: Eastern Cape MEC for Sport, Recreation, Arts and Culture
* 10 May 2018: appointed as MEC for Public Works
In 2017, she was elected into the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the ANC.
She has a long history in politics and has served on various levels of the African National Congress (ANC) including Regional Executives, Provincial Executives and National Executives of the South African Students Congress (SASCO), the ANC Youth League (ANCYL), ANC Women’s League (ANCWL) and SACP.
* An Educator by Profession
In 2010, she was awarded with an Honorary Doctorate by Arlington University of Australia, on Community Development. This is a non-disciplinary nosy recognition for work done, not in any Traditional Discipline, in any Higher Institution of Learning but is awarded in Recognition of a Substantial contribution, Sacrifice and passion of human condition especially those in destitute and vulnerable. In 2011, she was awarded with Reverend Baartman Award for serving people with Distinction to bring back their dignity from the Methodist Church of Southern Africa, Circuit 319, Queenstown District. 14 January 2015: She was awarded with Global Humanitarian Award in United States by Human Rights Activist, Reverend Jesse Jackson.
She is a full member of:
* Methodist Church of Southern Africa at Bensonvale Circuit, KNB District.
* Local Preacher at Methodist Church of Southern Africa
* Member of Women’s Manyano.